This & That is published now and then for the Erie area progressive community. Always good to double-check dates and times. Event submissions should have “T&T” in subject line, send to [email protected] . If you don’t want to receive this please reply with “Unsubscribe” in subject line. Also posted to http://occupyerie.net and www.erielead.org
Nov 24 – Rally Against Drones – Pittsburgh 12:00pm to 1:30pm Squirrel Hill—Sponsoring organizations: Code Pink, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, American Friends Service Committee PA, Anti-war Committee, Black voices for Peace, Peace Action. For more information contact: Scilla Wahrhaftig (412) 315 7423 or cell (412) 523 9364
Nov 29 – Titusville Film Series: “American Radical: The Trials of Norm Finkelstein,” a 2009 documentary about Norman Finkelstein, a former Professor of History at DePaul University, descendent of Holocaust survivors, and arguably the most articulate and passionate critic alive today of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians. Titusville Film Series 7 p.m. in Room G-5 of the Broadhurst Science Building, Pitt Titusville PA (discussion to follow). Info 827-2238
Nov 30 – Native American Music Awards 2012 Niagara Falls. Check out the nominees—most major genres and lots of others.
Dec 1 – Benefit concert for American Friends Service Committee PA PA program, Voices for Peace and Justice. December 1, 7:30 pm Pittsburgh Friends Meeting House, 4836 Ellsworth Ave. Featuring: Sarah Bowen-Salio and the Burlap Road, Steve Deasy, Mes Amis Cajun band, Raging Grannies, Smokestack Lightnin’ with Special guests Steve Weber, Sheila Liming, Steve Suarez, Heidi Wettlaufer Donation $12 $6 students/unemployed. AFSC is American Friends Service Committee.
Dec 2 – Classic Film Series: “To Kill a Mockingbird” Mercyhurst
Dec 7 – Langer Film Series: Where Do We Go Now Set in a remote village where the church and the mosque stand side by side, the film “Where Do We Go Now?” follows the antics of the town’s women to keep their blowhard men from starting a religious war. Women of the town are heartsick from losing the men they love to violent religious conflict – so they distract them in the biggest, zaniest ways they can muster. Their clever ruses range from faking a miracle to hiring a troop of Ukrainian strippers.
Dec 10 – International Human Rights Day
Jan 11, 2012 – Lewis Black in Erie “The Rant is Due”
Jan 17-26 – David Mamet’s “Race” at Dramashop
Feb 15 – On Screen/In Person: Cafeteria Man Mercyhurst
Apr 10 – Date of rescheduled Bob Woodward appearance at ‘Hurst.
NEWS & VARIOUS
- Weekend All Things : David Kozak discusses elections This discussion between Dr Kozak and host Kim Young was pretty interesting. Two party system bias, fyi. Click here and select the Nov 10 interview “Surveying the Political Landscape”
- America Cannot Be Great Without Election Reform – NOW! Whether or not you are into online petitions, this outlines what needs to be done for real election reform:
- Rolling Jubilee: Buying Up Distressed Debt, Occupy Offshoot Bails Out the People, Not the Banks
- University of Buffalo closes controversial shale institute
- Photo Gallery, Story: Protesters oppose Marcellus drilling in North Beaver
- Oliver Stone 10 part series on the untold history of America and war. Interview here.
- Mike Kelly leads bogus “UN wants your guns” effort In other words, he’s fighting something that already has its own Snopes entry
- “It’s A Wonderful Life” and Occupy Wall Street Written in January 2012. “”It’s A Wonderful Life” is the last of Frank Capra’s meditations on the American myth, and it has lessons that are relevant to the Occupy Wall Street movement today,” writes the blogger. It will show at TREC Dec 14 and you can probably find a couple other places to catch it
- The basic points of what is going on now Use these talking points for letters-to-the-editor, op-eds, and interviews for your local newspapers, radio stations, or TV programs. You can also use these talking points when contacting your elected officials. For general guidelines on how to write and place an op ed, or write an effective letter to the editor, check out the US Campaign’s media tools here.
- Haaretz: Israeli peace activist says Hamas leader was assassinated while actively involved in peace talks with israel
- Lies the Media Keeps Repeating About Gaza This is good, and recommended by Jewish Voice for Peace.
- Occupy Wall Street, Not Palestine (“Occupy Wall Street says no to war”from Occupy Wall Street (Commentary )
- J Street “The political home for pro-peace, pro-Israel Americans”) http://jstreet.org/
- “Anonymous” launches millions of cyber attacks on Israel
- Former CIA bin Laden Unit chief Michael Scheuer on What Israel has to do with why the US became a target for terrorism.
- An Israeli speaking out for the rights of Palestinians visited the Tohono O’odham border and then shared her insights on the similarities between the treatment of Palestine by Israel, and the treatment of American Indians by the colonizers of the US.
- Help us deliver this message on inauguration day: Mr. President, please condition US aid to Israel on compliance with the law which states that it cannot be used to violate the rights of Palestinians. (from Jewish Voice for Peace)